top of page
  • Writer's pictureTiffani Johnson

DPW Guidance for Trash Cans

Important Message About 96-Gallon Supercans

The DC Department of Public Works (DPW) has exhausted our inventory of 96-gallon supercans due to a nationwide shortage also faced by other municipalities. DPW has placed an order; however, due to the shortage it has not been fulfilled.

Several factors contribute to this, including:

  • the public health crisis;

  • a catastrophic fire at the manufacturer’s facility; and

  • the manufacturer is the sole producer of the 96-gallon cans.

When will I get my supercan?

Unfortunately, the manufacturer has not provided an estimate on when the cans will be available. A delivery timeline will be made public as soon as possible.

Can I pay for a can to get in the cue for delivery?

Payment for supercans has been suspended until cans are back in inventory.

If I have paid for a can, what should I do?

No action is needed. Your can will be among the first to be delivered once they are in inventory.

How will my trash be collected if I don’t have a can?

Place your trash, at the point of collection, in a trash container or in trash bags.

If I need a repair to my can, what should I do?

For household serviced by DPW, repair requests may be made online at or by calling 311 (202-737-4404). We will continue to replace other size cans and repair lids, bars and wheels free of charge on all recently distributed containers with serial numbers that start with a W# for trash and R# for recycling. Containers with serial numbers starting with a DC# are old and cannot be repaired.

How do I know if my residence is serviced by DPW?

DPW serves single-family homes and apartment buildings with three or fewer living units. We do not provide free replacement containers. Residents in buildings with four or more living units, mixed-use residential/commercial buildings and commercial properties must have service arrangements with a commercial/private hauler and obtain trash and recycling containers themselves or from their hauler.

I am a new homeowner, am I eligible for a free can? If so, when will I get a can?

Unfortunately, the manufacturer has not provided an estimate on when the cans will be available for delivery. A delivery timeline will be made public as soon as possible.

If you are a new homeowner in the District of Columbia, you are eligible for free containers if:

  • You moved into your home within the previous 90 days;

  • There are no containers at the home at the time of move-in; or

  • Containers are damaged beyond repair.

If you meet the above criteria, please send a copy of your deed or settlement letter to, or fax it to 202-645-3893. You can also mail a copy to:

Department of Public Works Solid Waste Collections Division – Container Processing 1725 15th Street NE Washington, DC 20002

Otherwise, residents and property owners may purchase trash and recycling containers from DPW, if we provide your collection services.

1,097 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

ANC 4B06 Weekly Newsletter

The ANC 4B06 Newsletter is now available. Join me tomorrow, 6:30pm, at Capital City Public Charter School for a special in-person


bottom of page