Minutes from ANC 4B06 Single Member District (SMD) Meeting
On Monday, February 6, 2023, ANC 4B06 held its first SMD meeting of the year. Below is a synopsis of our discussion:
1. Returning to in-person or hybrid meetings
Those in attendance discussed our options for future meetings: remain 100% virtual, return to 100% in-person or, a hybrid option (in-person/virtual). We concluded that a hybrid model would be the better option. If you recall, prior to the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, SMD meetings were held at Takoma Recreation Center. I have applied for use of a community room beginning in March 2023 and have a meeting with DPR on Friday afternoon to further discuss this request and any technology which is needed. If I cannot finalize this process for our March 6th meeting, we will begin in April. I will post details as they become available.
a. Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services - Sophia Tekola
○ Mayor's Budget forums:
Senior Budget Engagement TeleTownhall
When: Wednesday, February 8, at 12:00 p.m.
Call-In Number: (844) 881-1314
Budget Engagement Forum Jackson-Reed High School
When: Thursday, February 9, at 6:00 p.m.
Where: Jackson-Reed High School, 3950 Chesapeake Street NW
Budget Engagement Forum Eastern High School
When: Saturday, February 11, at 11:00 a.m.
Where: Eastern High School, 1700 East Capitol Street NE
3. Community Concerns:
• 1st and Kennedy Street Crime (shootings) - Will be discussed in more detail during the ANC 4B Community Safety and Support Meeting Committee meeting on February 20, 2023, at 7 pm. A representative from the Office of Neighborhood Safety Engagement will discuss their mandate, operations, and programs, such as Building Blocks, Safe Passage, and People of Promise
• Traffic Calming/DDOT TSI 2.0
• NPS cleaning of Fort Slocum and Triangle Parks - I have reached out to NPS to request an update on their cleaning/maintenance efforts of Fort Slocum and the surrounding areas along Madison Street NW. I am also completing the attached Request for Congressional Assistance to ask for support. You can also reach out to Stephanie Bueno, the Ward 4 representative for the National Park Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residents should feel free to use this form for issues related to any federal government agency for which they require assistance from Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton.
• DPW Time Constraints/Cleanliness of Alleys - I reached out to DPW today regarding the frequent delays in trash and recycling collection. I am awaiting a more formal response. As for clean-up the alleys, I was advised that tightly closed plastic bags can reduce the litter in alleys. Remember, bags are allowed for trash collection only. DO NOT use trash bags for your recycling. A supervisor will be following up with me to discuss additional measures DPW can take to keep our alleys clean during collection.
• Rat abatement - I have received the attached rat abatement flyers, a few of which are in my free library. I also am scheduling a community walkthrough with the rodent division on March 25th. I will post more information about the walkthrough as they become available. In the interim, please reach out to me with any questions, or problem areas you may have that you would like to have addressed on or before the walkthrough.
a. Fort Slocum Clean-ups:
i. February 11, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Oasis Restoration
ii. February 25, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Oasis Restoration
b. Whitter Public Safety Meeting
i. February 16, 2023, from 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
c. ANC 4B Community Safety and Support Committee
i. February 20, 2023, from 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
d. ANC 4B Monthly Meeting
i. February 27, 2023, from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Next Single Member District 4B06 Meeting: Monday, March 6, 2023, 7:00 p.m.
Constituent concerns can also be raised via the SMD website, https://www.commissionerjohnson4b06.com/constituent-concerns, or you can contact Commissioner Tiffani Nichole Johnson via email at email@example.com, or 202.271.3710.