MPD Investigates Robberies Associated with In-Person Transactions and Delivery Trucks
MPD has recently been investigating robberies in connection with in-person transactions using online applications, such as Craigslist and Offer Up, and delivery trucks in the District of Columbia. Many cases include suspects demanding/looking for Apple and PlayStation products, or offering to sell these products at a lower price through an online application, then when the victim arrives, a pre-staged robbery occurs.
MPD strongly encourages the public to make use of the Safe Exchange Zones throughout the city to combat the these robberies. These designated areas serve as a safe place for residents and visitors to exchange and complete transactions of online purchases.
The Safe Exchange Zone designated locations are:
• First District Station: 101 M Street, Southwest
• Second District Station: 3320 Idaho Avenue, Northwest
• Third District Station: 1620 V Street, Northwest
• Fourth District Station: 6001 Georgia Avenue, Northwest
• Fifth District Station: 1805 Bladensburg Road, Northeast
• Sixth District Station: 5002 Hayes Street, Northeast
• Seventh District Station: 2455 Alabama Avenue, Southeast
• Special Operations Division’s Harbor Patrol: 550 Water Street, Southwest
Additionally, there have been a number of reported cases of Carjackings involving delivery trucks in the District of Columbia. MPD wants to remind the public of the below tips to assist in preventing auto thefts:
• Park in a safe spot
• Lock your car
• Keep track of your keys
• Use anti-theft devices
• Never leave your engine running
• Stay alert
Anyone who has knowledge of any robbery incidents in the District should take no action but call police at (202) 727-9099 or text your tip to the Department's TEXT TIP LINE at 50411. Crime Solvers of Washington, DC currently offers a reward of up to $1,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and indictment of the person or persons responsible for a crime committed in the District of Columbia.